Wednesday, January 23, 2013

What is urban?

I feel that there is a difference between what urban is supposed to mean and how the term is used in society. The definition Webster's Dictionary gives of urban is "of, relating to, characteristic of, or constituting a city". This can mean many things, but to me I think it is supposed to refer to more of the core of a city, where there is a mix of housing, businesses, and modern structures such as paved streets, stop lights, highways, and public transportation. 

But I believe that when it is often used, it is done in a context meant to describe something specifically in a politically correct manner, to make sure no one is offended. To put it bluntly, "urban" is just a code word for "Black", "Latino", or any other non-white or European person or culture. This especially true when it comes to the media and "experts" conducting studies and collecting data.

No comments:

Post a Comment